Apr 9, 2008

Real Housewives of New York City





I watch too much TV. If you know me, you know this already. It's a sickness. I really thought I was over the whole reality-tv thing (except for Real World Road Rules Challenges) but something happened with this one. I've never seen the previous seasons of "Real Housewives" (Orange County), but I am obsessed with this season. The main reason I started watching it was because it is set in New York City. Unfortunately, I was a little disappointed with the first episode I watched...they were busy cavorting and dueling on tennis courts and mansions in the Hamptons (what? no tennis courts in Harlem?). But the women were interesting. My favorites are LuAnn (aka The Countess) and Jill (socialite) who live on the Upper East Side. I'm kind of curious about their ages. Something tells me that I'm older than both of them. But they seem so mature. And sophisticated. And classy (watch this week's episode for the debate on the definition of "classy"). They are sure of themselves and their place in Manhattan society. I love these two. I feel a little inferior, but it is fascinating to watch society women deal with the problems that afflict everyday housewives (lice problems, bitchy "friends", absent husbands, children with weight issues, being forced to sit in the second row (not first) during fashion week,forcing your children into an acting career that they don't want, hoping to make the style page of the NY Times, etc). The other girls range from whiny(Bethenny) to unlikable(Alex) to annoying(Ramona). The season finale is next Tuesday night. Catch it if you can.





In her real life, LuAnn is the hostess of a what appears to be a cable access program in the Hamptons. Here she is as a commentator for the Hampton's Potato Festival (love the "P"'s on her shirt). She's not quite as refined on this show as she seems on the Bravo show, but still engaging :

4 comments:

Breezy said...

I can't say I watch this show, but I did love the Salt-N-Pepa show. Did you catch that one?

jason said...

You know I did. (watch Salt and Pepa)
I haven't seen the Real Housewives of NY,
but I have heard of this "Countess Luann"
(You know the line in GG I keep hearing as I type that name)
by way of at least two people...one of whom said she wants to be her when she grows up.
Now I'm intrigued.

Michael said...

I only saw one episode of the Salt N Pepa show. It didn't keep my interest. I think the Scott Baio show killed the whole celebrity reality thing for me (and I use the term celebrity very loosely). I like that the Countess knows her manners and etiquette, but is also her own woman (never eating at home with the kids on "taco night", instead choosing to have a girls' night out).

Anonymous said...

Bethany is an interesting character (although you are right - she is a whiner!). She was previously seen on Martha Stewart's edition of Donald's The Apprentice. (I think I am the only person who actually watched this show!). She was just as annoying there as she is here. Makes you wonder if you actually can make a living jumping from one reality show to another.