May 7, 2008

Michael Cera & Ellen Page - Anyone Else But You (video from Juno)

This is the first song to make me cry since one of those diamond commercials got to me around Christmas time. It's just so damn beautiful. The lyrics are pretty great. Ellen Page has a nice voice. Michael Cera, not so much, but it is his performance that makes this song special for me. He just sings so .... tenderly. I've always preferred hushed, fragile vocals like his and others (see Kings of Convenience , Hope Sandoval, etc.) over BIG (or maybe LOUD) singers. Maybe that's why I'll never enjoy American Idol. Pity. Or not.

2 comments:

jason said...

Hmmm....ok. I'm liking this movie less and less as I think about it in retrospect. I don't know why.

When I saw it, I felt kind of ambivalent. I sort of liked it, but now...hmmm. Not sure.


I did love Michael Cera in it however. And you're right about his singing.

Michael said...

I did some eye-rolling at the dialogue in the first 20 min. or so, but after I settled into it, I enjoyed it. Still hard to believe that the Academy considered it SOOOO important. What? No "Margot at the Wedding???" hehe.