May 5, 2008

Tell Me (video) - Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings



I'm going to try and post something every day this week about some of my favorite music of the moment. I love current music that sounds like it belongs in another time. Recent favorites that fall in this category include Richard Hawley (50s crooner), Camera Obscura (60s country/pop), The Raveonettes (50s rockabilly or 70s Suicide), Zoot Woman (80s synth pop), and Glass Candy (70s/80s druggy disco). This song is a catchy Motown style soul jam. The video reminds me of something you would have seen if Sharon Jones (2007) was a special guest on the Glenn Campbell Show (1969). Her record label is Daptone Records, which is based in Brooklyn and seems to have cornered a market on new funk-soul that sounds like classic style funk-soul. I got the CD yesterday because I couldn't get the Robyn CD that I so wanted (urgh...had to order it), but I think I did ok after all. Love the horns.

No comments: